My wife had been bugging me to make scones for a while, and we had some dried apricots and dates laying around, so I made some Apricot Date Scones.
I basically followed the King Arthur Flour scones recipe which is generic scones you can mix whatever you want in to.
Apricot and Date Scones
Scones with apricots and dates.
Servings 12 scones
- 2 3/4 cup flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 tbl baking powder
- 1/2 cup butter cold
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1-2 cups fruit/nuts/whatever I used apricots and dates
- 2 tsp milk
- 2 tbsp sugar ideally coarse, I used sugar in the raw
- Whisk together the flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder
- Dice the butter and work it in until you get a crumbly texture
- Dice and stir in the fruit
- In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, vanilla and milk
- Add liquid to dry and mix until it holds together
- Split dough in half and make 2 circles about 6" in diameter
- Brush the disks of dough with the milk and then sprinkle the sugar on top.
- Cut each disk into 6 wedges and separate the wedges a bit to allow for expansion during baking.
- Chill the scones for 30 minutes in the freezer and preheat your oven to 425F.
- Cook scones on a high rack in the oven for 23 minutes.
They came out really tasty. Wife was pleased I baked a request, and like they say, happy wife happy life. Especially when you haven’t left the house for 2 weeks and probably wont for another six.