My wife had been bugging me to make scones for a while, and we had some dried apricots and dates laying around, so I made some Apricot Date Scones.
I basically followed the King Arthur Flour scones recipe which is generic scones you can mix whatever you want in to.
Apricot and Date Scones
- 2 3/4 cup flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 tbl baking powder
- 1/2 cup butter cold
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1-2 cups fruit/nuts/whatever I used apricots and dates
- 2 tsp milk
- 2 tbsp sugar ideally coarse, I used sugar in the raw
- Whisk together the flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder
- Dice the butter and work it in until you get a crumbly texture
- Dice and stir in the fruit
- In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, vanilla and milk
- Add liquid to dry and mix until it holds together
- Split dough in half and make 2 circles about 6" in diameter
- Brush the disks of dough with the milk and then sprinkle the sugar on top.
- Cut each disk into 6 wedges and separate the wedges a bit to allow for expansion during baking.
- Chill the scones for 30 minutes in the freezer and preheat your oven to 425F.
- Cook scones on a high rack in the oven for 23 minutes.
They came out really tasty. Wife was pleased I baked a request, and like they say, happy wife happy life. Especially when you haven’t left the house for 2 weeks and probably wont for another six.